Types of Russian visa

NB: It is now standard practice for all US citizens applying for Russian travel visas to be issued with a 3-year multi-entry visa. This visa allows you to stay in Russia for up to six months per visit.

The type of Russian Visa that you require depends on the length of your planned stay in Russia and the purpose of your visit. Whether you plan to leave the country and return during the period that your visa is valid is also a factor in choosing the type of visa to apply for. Below you will find explanations of the conditions and requirements of the main types of Russian visa, and how to apply for them.

  • Tourist visasA tourist visa is the easiest and cheapest type of Russian visa to get. It is a single entry/exit visa valid for the specified duration of your stay in Russia, up to 30 days. We provide the necessary documents to apply for a tourist visa to all clients who book accommodation with us.
  • Private visasA private or homestay visa, valid for up to 90 days, is designed for those who wish to visit family or friends in Russia. Invitations are obtained in Russia by private individuals, and are not normally available through agencies. For this reason, they can be difficult to obtain.
  • Business visasBusiness or commercial visas are valid for 90 days, six months, or one year and give you the right to do business in Russia, but not to take up full-time employment. Business visas can be single, double or multi-entry.
  • Transit visasTransit visas are required if you are travelling via Russia to another destination. They are normally valid for up to three days for air passengers, and up to ten days for passengers travelling by train. If you are staying in Russian for less than 24 hours and do not leave the airport transit zone, no visa is required.

If you are planning to work or study in Russia, then you will be entitled to apply for a Work or Student Visa, the requisite support for which should be organized by your Russian employer or the institution at which you will be studying. If an organization cannot provide the necessary paperwork, we strongly recommend that you reconsider taking up employment or studying with them.