Saint-Petersburg.com

Luigi Rusca

Architect
Born: Ticino, Switzerland - 1762
Died: Valenza, Italy - 1822

A prolific architect who worked in St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Ukraine, Luigi Rusca arrived in St. Petersburg in 1783 and served as a master mason to Yuri Felten, Vincenzo Brenna and Giacomo Quarenghi, but it was not until 1790 that his independent career as an architect began to develop. Rusca designed interiors at the Anichkov Palace, the Grand Palace at Gatchina, the Ropsha Palace, at Oranienbaum, Tsarskoye Selo and Peterhof; he worked extensively on Kamennoostrovskiy Palace; he built residences for several prominent St. Petersburg citizens; and he was responsible for a huge number of public buildings in the city centre, including several regimental barracks and educational institutions.

  • The Rusca Portico - a gorgeous element of Perinniye Ryady (Feather Row) shopping arcade in St Petersburg, Russia
    The Rusca Portico - a gorgeous element of Perinniye Ryady (Feather Row) shopping arcade
  • Jesuits' House on the Griboedov Canal, built by Luigi Rusca in Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Jesuits' House (first right) on the Griboedov Canal, built by Luigi Rusca
  • Building of the Royal Stables Offices built by Rusca on the Moyka River Embankment in St Petersburg, Russia
    Building of the Royal Stables Offices built by Rusca on the Moyka River Embankment
  • The House with Four Columns built by Luigi Rusca on Italyanskaya Ulitsa in St Petersburg, Russia
    The House with Four Columns built by Luigi Rusca on Italyanskaya Ulitsa
  • Barracks of the Izmailovskiy Life Guards Regiment built by Rusca on Izmailovskiy Prospekt in Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Barracks of the Izmailovskiy Life Guards Regiment built by Rusca on Izmailovskiy Prospekt
  • Luigi Rusca's Church of the Icon of the Mother of God 'Joy of All Grievers' 	on Shpalernaya Ulitsa in St Petersburg, Russia
    Luigi Rusca's Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All Grievers" on Shpalernaya Ulitsa

By 1802, Rusca had been appointed to the position of court architect, and this allowed his designs to reach cities throughout Russia. His most famous work is undoubtedly the imposing Nikolskaya Tower of the Moscow Kremlin. Rusca remained in Russia until 1818 when he moved back to Italy. He died 1822 in Valenza. Although Rusca reached the very top of his profession, he never benefited from the type of large-scale commissions entrusted to his former employers or his immediate successor, Carlo Rossi, and his works are characterized by their functionality and the elegant simplicity of their neoclassical designs.

Works: Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All Grievers", Bobrinskiy Palace, Rusca Portico, Chevalier Guards Barracks and Riding School, Izmailovskiy Life Guards Barracks, Finland Regiment Barracks, Ebeling House, Court Stables Department, Jesuit College, Mary Magdalene Hospital, Ecclesiastical College (Alexander Nevsky Monastery), Exerzirhaus (Club of the Military-Cosmic Academy)

Connected with: Yuri Felten, Vincenzo Brenna, Giacomo Quarenghi

USEFUL ADS