Nevsky Curtain Wall and Gate

Overlooking the Neva River, this section of the Peter and Paul Fortress's fortifications presents a forbidding granite facade interrupted by the elegant neoclassical arch of the Nevsky Gate, which leads into the fortress from the Commandant's Pier. Built under the supervision of Domenico Trezzini 1727-1731, the structure was clad in granite 1779-1781. The interior premises were used as barracks, warehouses, and prison cells, and now house the Pechatnya Graphic Workshop.

Nevskiye (Neva) Gates of the fortress seen from the Neva River in St Petersburg, Russia