Saint-Petersburg.com

Vasilievskaya Curtain Wall and Gate

The eastern section of the Peter and Paul Fortress's defensive walls is named after Vasilievsky Island, which it faces. The stone fortifications and gate were erected by Domenico Trezzini 1708-1710. The interior premises of the curtain wall to the south of the gate were used as living quarters for the wardens of the prison in the Trubetskoy Bastion, while those to the north were used as barracks and storage space.

Vasilievskaya Curtain Wall and Gate at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS