Saint-Petersburg.com

Nikolskiy Curtain Wall and Gate

The north-west section of the Peter and Paul Fortresses curtain wall was named after a Church of St. Nicholas which stood nearby on the Petrograd Side in the 18th century. The stone fortifications were completed in 1729, and the interiors of the wall were used as barracks, warehouse space, and prison cells. Unlike the other curtain walls, the premises inside the Nikolskiy Curtain Wall were not adapted at the beginning of the 20th century and have retained their original two storeys.

Nikolskiy Curtain Wall at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS