Saint-Petersburg.com

Naryshkin Bastion

Named after Kirill Naryshkin, one of the leading military commanders and administrators of Peter the Great's reign, who oversaw the building of the original fortifications here, the Naryshking Bastion was erected in stone during major reconstruction of the fortress 1725-1728, and the facade onto the Neva River was clad in granite 1779-1780. In the 1730s, the Flagstaff Tower was added to the bastion, from which traditionally hung the fortress's own flag, or the Imperial standard on holidays and during Imperial visits. This tradition was revived in 2000. Another 18th century tradition, revived in 1957, was the daily firing of a cannon from the bastion at noon.

Naryshkin Bastion at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS