The Mint

One of the oldest industrial enterprises in St. Petersburg, the main building of the Mint was constructed 1800-1805 to replace coining workshops in the eastern fortifications of the Peter and Paul Fortress, which had been producing money and medals since 1724. Designed by A. Porto in strict classical style, the main building was complemented in the 1830s and 1840s by further workshops and a surrounding stone wall. The Mint continues to produce coins, state awards, and other official medals.

The Mint on Cathedral Square within the Peter and Paul Fortress in Saint-Petersburg, Russia