Saint-Petersburg.com

Menshikov Bastion

Named after Alexander Menshikov, Peter the Great's closest confidant and the first governor of St. Petersburg, the Menshikov Bastion is at the northern corner of the Petrovskiy Curtain Wall. The pentagonal stone structure was completed in 1729, and the exterior has been largely unaltered since. In the first half of the 18th century, the bastion housed the holding and torture cells of the Secret Chancellery. Later the premises were used as barracks and workshops.

Menshikov Bastion at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS