Main Treasury

A large but plain neoclassical building next to the Kronverskaya Curtain Wall, the Main Treasury were built 1837-1838 by architect Ivan Galberg to house the State Treasury of the Ministry of Finance. In part, it functioned as a storeroom for the production of the Mint. It then became home to the headquarters of the Engineering and Artillery Boards of St. Petersburg. From 1868 it was used for housing and offices by the Mint, and then from 1900 until 1940 it was occupied by different military departments.

Main Treasury at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia