Saint-Petersburg.com

Commandant's House

Now housing the central exhibition of the Museum of the History of St. Petersburg, the Commandant's House is a large baroque building designed by the military engineer H. de Marin and built between 1743 and 1746. The main facade remains almost completely unaltered since then, while extra wings were added to create four wings around a central courtyard. The building housed not only the living quarters of the Fortress Commandant and his family, but also a home chapel, laundry, and stables. In October 1917, the building briefly became the headquarters of the Petrograd Revolutionary War Committee.

Commandant's House at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS