Saint-Petersburg.com

The Boathouse

An attractive pavilion situated to the west of the Ss. Peter and Paul Cathedral, the Boathouse was built by architect Alexander Vist 1762-1765 in a style that marked the transition from baroque to neoclassicism. The pavilion was built to house Peter the Great's Dinghy, a small sailboat that had been used by the young Tsar to learn naval principles on lakes in the Moscow area, and thus was hailed as the "Grandfather of the Russian Navy". Kept in the pavilion from 1767 to 1931, its place has now been taken by a scale replica. The Boathouse is also used as a ticket office for the exhibitions and museums in the fortress.

The Boathouse at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg, Russia
USEFUL ADS