Alfred Nobel (1833-1896), the Swedish chemist and engineer known throughout the world as the inventor of dynamite and founder of the Nobel Prize, spent much of his early youth in St. Petersburg, where his father Immanuel Nobel came in 1837 and found success as a manufacturer of machine tools and explosives.
Nobel left St. Petersburg for good in his late twenties, when the family business began to decline. However, in 1991, to mark the 90th anniversary of the presentation of the first Nobel Prize, this unusual abstract monument was erected in his honour. Created by local sculptors Sergey Alipov and Pavel Shevchenko, the monument occupies a modest position on Petrogradskaya Naberezhnaya, next to the Bolshaya Nevka River. In the forms of its tortured metal it is possible to see the debris after an explosion, or perhaps the branches of a tree.
|Getting there:||On exiting Gorkovskaya metro station, turn right out of the park and walk along Kamennoostrovskiy Prospekt towards the River Neva. Take the first left onto Ulitsa Kuybysheva and follow the street all the way to the end. Turn left onto Petrogradskaya Naberezhnaya and walk one block along the embankment. The monument is next to the river on the opposite side of the road.|
Bolshaya Nevka River