HOMEABOUT USPARTNERSHIPCAREERSSITE MAPFAQ/HELPCONTACT USCALL US @ 7-812-380-2478LOCAL TIME: 21:35
AROUND THE CITY
Quick Facts
Essentials
Sights & Attractions
Suburbs
Imperial Estates
Foreign St. Petersburg
River Trips
Restaurants & Bars
Transport
Shopping
Business
ACCOMMODATION
St. Petersburg Hotels
Serviced Apartments
TRAVEL SERVICES
Airport Transfers
Russian Visa
VISUAL RESOURCES
Photo Gallery
360° Panoramas
Video
MEMBER SERVICES
Trip Planner
E-mail Newsletters
VISIT MOSCOW
Moscow Hotels
Moscow.Info
HOMESIGHTS & ATTRACTIONSFAMOUS BUILDINGSADMINISTRATIVE AND GOVERNMENT BUILDINGSMAIN POST OFFICE (GLAVPOCHTAMT)

Main Post Office (Glavpochtamt)

One of the few historical administrative buildings in St. Petersburg to retain its original function (more or less) to this day, the Main Post Office was built 1782-1789 on the orders of Prince Alexander Bezborodko, chancellor, favourite of Catherine the Great, and head of the postal service, whose own palace had just been completed next door.

The Central Post Office in St. Petersburg, Russia

The architect, Nikolay Lvov, was also a talented poet, musician and inventor. Although most of his main architectural work was done outside St. Petersburg, his designs for the Main Post Office and reconstruction of the Yaguzhinsky House opposite (now the Museum of the History of Religion) have lead some to declare him one of the greatest practitioners of neoclassicism in Russia. On completion of the building, he and his family lived in apartments there for twelve years.

The building was originally an auxiliary structure, housing the living quarters of some of the service's top officials, as well as stables and workshops in its large courtyard, while the main offices of the postal service were in the Yaguzhinsky House. The buildings switched roles in 1803, and in 1859 Alberto Cavos designed the beautiful covered bridge connecting the first floors of the two buildings.

Main operations hall of the Central Post Office in St. Petersburg, Russia
Milestone in the vestibule of the Central Post Office in St. Petersburg, Russia
Old-style letters can be sent from the Central Post Office in Saint-Petersburg, Russia

In 1903, the building's courtyard was turned into Petersburg's first glass-covered atrium. Since then it has been used as the main operations hall, and visitors can view the central granite pillar, marked with a zero. This once marked the official centre of St. Petersburg, from which all road distances to other towns and cities were measured.

Address:9, Pochtamtskaya Ulitsa
Metro:Admiralteyskaya
Getting there:Turn left and left again out of the metro station onto Malaya Morskaya Ulitsa. Walk to the end of the street and straight across Isaakiyevskaya Ploshchad onto Pochtamtskaya Ulitsa. The Post Office is one block down the street on your right.
What's nearby? Museum of the History of Religion, A. S. Popov Central Communications Museum
  Forward to Semyonovsky Regiment Infirmary (Museum of Military Medicine)
  Back to Konnogvardeyskiy Manege (Horse Guards Riding School)
Copyright © 2001-2014 ZAO "". All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Legal Notice | Disclaimer | Careers | Advertising with Us | Bookmark Us | Contact Us | 7-812-380-2478