Potseluev Bridge

Potseluev Bridge over the Moyka River in St Petersburg, Russia
Potseluev Bridge over the Moyka River

Crossing the Moika River near New Holland, Potseluev Bridge is a cast-iron single-span structure on granite-faced packed-rubble piers. The bridge was erected in 1816 on the site of a wooden pedestrian bridge from 1738. The name, which sounds in Russian like "Bridge of Kisses", actually comes from the surname of the proprietor of a tavern that stood nearby in the 18th century. This typically elegant bridge, with its decorative cast-iron railings and street lamps mounted on four granite obelisks, was fully restored in the 1960s.