Saint-Petersburg.com

Pochtamtsky Bridge

Pochtamtskiy (Postal) Bridge over the Moyka River in St Petersburg, Russia
Pochtamtskiy (Postal) Bridge over the Moyka River

Named after St. Petersburg's Central Post Office - "Pochtamt" in Russian - which has stood nearby since the 1780s, Pochtamtsky Bridge is a cast-iron pedestrian suspension bridge across the Moika River. The first bridge to be built at this site was completed in 1824 as a more conventional chain bridge. The present design dates only from 1983, but combines elements of the older bridge, including elegant cast-iron railings and four granite obelisks topped with gilded orbs. The obelisks, supported by quarter-hoop cast-iron braces, now act as the bridge's pillars.

USEFUL ADS