Krasnoflotsky Bridge

Krasnoflotskiy Bridge over the Moyka River in St Petersburg, Russia
Krasnoflotskiy Bridge over the Moyka River

With a name that translates as "Red Fleet", this simple but elegant metal pedestrian bridge crosses the Moika River in line with the Kryukov Canal, close to the building that served as the main barracks for the Soviet Navy in the 1920s and 1930s. Built on the site of a metal bridge that had stood there since the end of the 19th century and was removed in the 1930s, the current bridge was constructed in 1959-1960 to carry heating pipes, and has beautiful iron lanterns on its four granite piers. The bridge offers fine views of St. Isaac's Cathedral.