Saint-Petersburg.com

Ioannovsky Bridge

  • Spring view of Ioannovskiy (St. John) Bridge in Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Spring view of Ioannovskiy (St. John) Bridge
  • Lanterns and railings of Ioannovskiy (St. John) Bridge in St Petersburg, Russia
    Lanterns and railings of Ioannovskiy (St. John) Bridge

St. Petersburg's first bridge, the Ioannovsky Bridge joins Zayachy Island and the Peter and Paul Fortress with the Petrograd Side. A floating bridge was originally laid near the site in 1703, the year of the founding of St. Petersburg. Since then, the bridge has been reconstructed innumerable times, taking its current form in 1953 with the addition of cast iron railings and lamps. The bridge, like the gates beyond it, takes its name from Ioann, brother of Peter the Great and father of Empress Anna Ioannovna.

USEFUL ADS