Saint-Petersburg.com

First Engineer Bridge

First Engineers Bridge over the Moyka River in St Petersburg, Russia
First Engineers Bridge over the Moyka River

First Engineer Bridge crosses the Moika River at the point where it joins the Fontanka River, between the Mikhailovsky Castle (formerly the Institute of Engineering, hence the bridge's name) and the Summer Garden. Designed by P. Bazen, the engineer responsible for many of St. Petersburg's most famous wrought iron bridges, the First Engineer Bridge was opened in 1826. Fully restored in 1999, the bridge is famous for its intricate railings featuring a repeated head of Medusa, the design of which was copied for the railings of the Summer Garden.

USEFUL ADS